St. Clair Superior Neighborhood

Monday, July 09, 2007

Making the neighborhood a better place to be

This is an article written by Kevin Bell and published in the July/ August issue of the St. Clair Superior Spotlight. Kevin is one of the many dedicated, respectable people who call St. Clair Superior home. Instead of focusing on our problems, we all need to be part of the solution in our communities, like Kevin. Kevin mentors young people helping them with homework, answering late night phone calls, and encouraging them to make the right choices in their lives. Read, and enjoy his words. -Jamie

______________________________________________________________
Unity in the Community!
Kevin Bell, Sr., Peace in the Hood, Inc.

Upon leaving the Marine Corp in 1982, I thought about what I could do to help improve my community. So I started developing relationships with young people; coaching football, engaging myself in school activities with my own children as well as other children in the community. This was my way of showing civic pride.

Now, years later, I embark on a new journey; focusing on helping to end the gang violence and preparing our youth to integrate into the job market, as well as motivating them to be proud of themselves and the community we live in. This can be accomplished with collaboration; neighborhood groups, corporations, city officials, as well as community leaders of all ages. Together we can bring hope and new life to a community filled with gangs and drugs. We all have a role to play in bringing “Unity in the Community!”